The current editors and editorial board of Prompt: A Journal of Academic Writing Assignments seek applications for a new editor or editors to lead the journal. The new editors will be responsible for taking over the roles of current editor and managing editor of the journal, while the journal's associate editors and production editors will remain in place, continuing their current appointments. We seek editors with an established record of expertise in writing studies or closely related fields. We welcome joint or group applications, as we are looking to fill the roles that are currently shared between two editors who collaborate closely.
Prompt is a scholar-run, open-access, online journal that publishes academic writing assignment guides and prompts accompanied by reflective essays. The journal is peer-reviewed and open to submissions about writing assignments taught to undergraduates and graduate students from across all academic disciplines. The founding editor and managing editor seek to transition the journal to new editorial leadership that can build on the current strengths of the journal. Since its first issue was published in 2017, the journal has become a valuable resource for those engaged in the teaching of writing across the disciplines. The journal has averaged over 10,000 views of its articles per year in the last three years.
Editor role responsibilities
These duties may be shared among co-editors, a managing editor, or with other editorial assistants to ensure the timeliness and integrity of the journal. The current editorial structure is one editor and one managing editor.
- Solicitation of manuscripts, ensuring a fair review process, developmental editing of manuscripts, final proofreading and preparing of manuscripts, and ensuring that the manuscripts are produced and disseminated at least twice per calendar year.
- Online hosting and technology support of the journal's website along with the archiving of the journal.
- Long-term planning and development of the journal, which includes but is not limited to the planning of special issues, oversight of special issue editors, development of new sections of the journal, ensuring fair and equitable representation in the review process, and presiding over the board.
- Appointing new associate editors as needed.
- Appointing new board members as needed.
- The editorship is a 5-year term.
Anticipated timeline for onboarding new editors
- September 2022, new editors selected
- October-December 2022, a six-month training process with the current editors
- January-June 2023, the current and new editors will collaboratively edit the journal during a transitional period
- July 2023, the new editors will take over as editors of the journal after the publication of issue 7.2. Their editorships will continue for a three-year period, followed by a final year in which they pass the journal's editorship off to new editors in a similar manner. Thus, the total commitment of time is five years.
To apply, please compose a letter to the journal's current editors and editorial board that addresses the following topics:
- The ways your teaching, research, administrative, and/or editorial experiences have prepared you to lead the editing of a peer-reviewed journal focused on academic writing assignments across disciplines.
- Priorities you would set as editors of an established but young scholar-run journal that has established a strong presence in the field and has potential to grow.
- Any institutional resources you would bring to the journal. As a scholar-run, open access, online journal that has relied on volunteer labor to this point, the journal does not have or require sources of institutional funding to support operations, but such resources may facilitate continued growth and development of the journal. The current minimum annual cost of running the journal is $250 for web hosting.
- Your plans to ensure the journal will prioritize anti-racism and inclusion in its editorial practices and publications.
Please also provide CVs for all applicants. Email these materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title "Search for Editors."
The deadline for applications has been extended to August 31st, 2022.
We welcome all questions that interested applicants may have.