The editors of Prompt: A Journal of Academic Writing Assignments are currently seeking to fill three roles on our technical editing team. This is an opportunity to help develop and run the production of an open-access journal that promotes excellence in the teaching of writing across the disciplines. Prompt is a scholar-run journal, and these are all volunteer positions. The positions are:
- Site Editor
- Production Editor
- Associate Production Editor
Detailed descriptions of each position are below.
Our current Technical Editor, Jon Dueck, would oversee the transition from our current team to the incoming team. You would be coming into a well-designed and functional publishing system, not building a system from scratch.
Interested applicants should email a letter of interest and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15, 2020. The letter of interest should briefly explain the reasons for your interest in the position and the ways your relevant experience has prepared you for such a role. Please specify which role you are applying for in both the subject of your email and in the letter of interest. We welcome applicants from varied academic backgrounds, including faculty and graduate students across disciplines, librarians, and educational technologists.
You can reach us at email@example.com with any questions you have about these roles or the application process.
The Site Editor for Prompt will:
- maintain the OJS3 installation, and related webserver and database installations, for Prompt
- oversee site security, ensuring regular back-ups in case of site failure
- update and upgrade this installation
- explore and develop plugins or other customizations to enhance workflow and UI for Prompt's OJS3 install
An ideal Site Editor will:
- be familiar with or prepared to learn OJS3's interfaces, both command-line and web-based
- be familiar with or prepared to learn OJS3's back-end structure (file structure, packages required, database structure, etc.)
- have basic background in LAMP server/webserver maintenance and operation
- have basic background in Linux command-line interfaces, shell scripting, et cetera
- be interested in and engaged with public knowledge production (journals, blogs; library or information sciences; etc.)
The Site Editor will report to the Prompt senior editor and liaise with Prompt's production editor.
The Production Editor will:
- oversee the process of digitally typesetting, producing, and publishing Prompt on the Open Journal Systems (OJS) platform, working closely with the Associate Production Editor
- maintain and improve document production workflows for Prompt
- review and solve complex problems in the production process for Prompt article
- manage the OJS publication process for issues of Prompt
An ideal Production Editor will:
- be fluent in Markdown, LaTeX, and HTML syntax
- be fluent in BibTeX format, and understand other citation management systems, including Zotero
- be fluent in command-line interface work in Linux and similar platforms
- be competent in using text editing software (such as Atom or VIM); and in using regular expressions and other advanced features of this software
- be familiar with online publication software, including OJS
The Production Editor will report to the Prompt senior editor, will liaise with the Prompt site editor, and will supervise the Prompt associate production editor.
Associate Production Editor
The Associate Production Editor will work with the Technical Editor to digitally typeset, produce, and publish Prompt on the Open Journal Systems (OJS) platform.
Specifically, the Associate Production Editor will:
- use open-source tools (Atom, VIM, LaTeX, and Pandoc) to convert copy-edited article manuscripts in Word format to Markdown format
- use Zotero to produce BibTeX bibliographies for each article
- use open-source tools to produce and make final edits PDF galleys from their Markdown source
- use open-source tools to produce and publish the clea final PDF and HTML version of Prompt's articles
An ideal associate production editor will:
- be familiar with basic Markdown, LaTeX, and HTML syntax; and able to review documentation for these markup languages
- be familiar with citation management systems, including Zotero
- be familiar with basic command-line interface work in Linux and similar platforms
- be familiar with text editing software (such as Atom or VIM)
- be interested in learning about online publication platforms, including OJS
The Associate Production Editor will report to the Prompt production editor.